GDB X: Another provincial civil war

bingofuel
October 24 2009 04:55PM

Watching the Oilers come back from a 4-1 deficit last game against the Blue Jackets was really something. Like Gregor and Brownlee alluded to yesterday, it's been pretty unreal watching PDP blow fans, hangers-on and bandwagon-jumpers away. Even Hemsky came alive!

And this gives me hope.

Now let's hope this fekkin' flu bug that's knocked Gilbert Brule and Mike Comrie out of the line-up has run its course. I'd hate for hope to fade.

Battle of October

Can someone please explain to me why we've played the Flames twice since the beginning of the season? Tonight marks the third iteration of the Battle of Alberta. After this we don't play Calgary again until after Christmas — twice more before the New Year. After that, we play them one more time in January and that's it for the regular season.

Won't get fooled Iginla

After the knock-down blow Iginla dealt Souray in the last Battle of Alberta, there was a lot of fuss kicked up by, well, just about everyone. Was it deliberate? Will Pat Quinn's curmudgeonly ramblings result in more fines? Should Ignila have been fined too? Is Bulin staying hydrated?

The real question I think everyone wants an answer to is what's going to happen in tonight's game. Whether you believe Ignila's hit was dirty and deliberate or not (deliberate hit, yes, but surely he didn't intend to injury Souray to the extent that he did), you have to wonder what the Oilers have in mind for Iggy tonight.

A good, old-fashioned beat-down? And who rolls up their sleeves to get this done?

We need answers

Thankfully, we needn't wait much longer for answers to at least some of these questions. And although the Flames and the Oilers share the exact same record so far this season (6-2-1), I'd say the Flames have more to worry about than we do... The Oilers are playing spirited hockey.

And it's a blast to watch.

Oh yeah, check out what the competition has to say about tonight's game.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#301 Eddie Shore
October 25 2009, 01:28PM

@RossCreekNation

I would wager that Dion will "get his" long before Smid does. Phaneuf plays a big mans game but disappears when the big men come calling. Take off that visor, answer the bell and play with a little integrity.

#302 MattL
October 25 2009, 01:31PM
Librarian Mike wrote:

Okay, I'll admit I thought Schremp wasn't getting a fair chance at the time. I have to say I really thought he'd be ready to show something after being trashed by MacT for so long. It just goes to show how with the draft, 'Nobody Knows Anything'.

So yeah, mea culpa. I know I'm not the only one though...

You're a bigger man than most, Librarian.

Personally, I thought David Oliver was going to be a first line player, Jim Carey and Patrick Lalime would compete for multiple Vezinas, and Mathieu Garon would lead us to the promised land. Just in case anyone thinks I'm a know-it-all fan.

#303 RossCreekNation
October 25 2009, 01:38PM

@Wedge

Well in that case... respect bro.

#304 Wedge
October 25 2009, 02:02PM

@Eddie Shore

Agreed - further to my thoughts Ogden Brother, I would NOT take Phaneuf or Regher over Souray or Vishnovsky. Souray has a harder/better shot, more offensive flair, and matches pyhsical play most nights. Lubo has more skill in his left foot than all of the flames d-men. Although, a Lubo and Bouwmeester pairing would have been sweet. They would pass our forwards on the rush and still get back to break up a play!

#305 Robin Brownlee
October 25 2009, 02:25PM
Eddie Shore wrote:

Robin could part of this 'awful' play by Gilbert and Grebs be due to the fact that they are playing tougher competition now that Staios and Souray are out?

Sure, it could be. More of it, though, is that they don't hold up as well in an intense, physical game where there's a good chance somebody is going to put them on their asses with a big check. The same could be said of many players, although there are others who respond the opposite way and are better when it gets tough -- if you run at Souray, Penner or even Gagner, chances are they are going to have a good game.

#306 Does that make her a Troglodyke?
October 25 2009, 02:27PM
cheers

I would cheer for Phaneuf if he was an Oiler, but a piece of me would die every time I clapped.

I used to really like Phaneuf when he first started with the flames, but that train left the station when he started showing his character on the ice. I honestly think he's one of the most embarassing Canadian hockey players in the league right now.

Great hitter, really good shooter, decent enough passer, no dignity, zero respect for the game, and a spine you couldn't sell to Gumby's mother.

I wish that Avery hadn't been suspended when he beaked about sloppy seconds. Then he and Phaneuf could have put on a big show pretending to fight each other from behind the linesmen.

I hope they carpool with Dany Heatly some day.

When ABC cancelled "Cavemen" I thought that meant I wouldn't have to see Phaneuf on TV anymore.

And just to prove that this isn't an anti-Flames sentiment, I would still call it a good day if the Flames could somehow trade him to the KHL and get the first overall pick for the next 5 years in return. At least in the KHL he would be expected to play like a coward.

#307 Wedge
October 25 2009, 02:39PM
cheers

@Does that make her a Troglodyke?

My exact feelings as well. I silently thought his hometown connection would make him an oiler at one time. Thank God that didn't happen. I have 0 respect after he turtled over that pre-season hit. You have to believe he's going to get what he deserves soon. I'd laugh if he got knocked out for the play-offs - then Calgary would have ANOTHER excuse for their first round flopping.

#308 Matt Henderson
October 25 2009, 02:46PM

@MattL

let's not get on schremp too early now. ~he's only 1 point off the pace of Horcoff this year~

#309 BarryS
October 25 2009, 03:13PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

But that's the only hockey ability he is close at. Until he proves otherwise, which he is unlikely to, all there is to Schremp is hot air, his own and those sports guys who played up his suspect junior abilities. As far as i know, Schremp was never a good five on five player and it looks life never will be,

Horcoff's history is he will get better stats as soon as he gets used to the problem many players have when they suddenly get a huge contract. Horcoff is not the first to suffer from the self-worth issues surrounding hitting the contract jackpot, won't be the last. A three million skill that suddenly is a six million skill takes some getting used to. Check the stats, I expect you will find most players in the first year of a huge contract boast suffer from lesser production. In fact, some careers have been ended by not being able to live up to the greatly increased expections, both theirs and others, of getting a huge new payday. Just look at these blogs, Horcoff is under great scrutany by those not expecting more for the increase pay. Quess what, the pay was based on past preformance in the expectation it remain at the same level, not rise to new levels. The sooner Horcoff and everyone else accepts that, the sooner he will reduce the pressure on himself and begin to play better.

#310 Matt Henderson
October 25 2009, 03:24PM

@BarryS

he had a year to get used to the heat from that contract. he can get over it any time now.

and he had 1 good season, and hit the jackpot. i'm not angry that he convinced someone that his 3 million dollar skills are worth 5.5, i'm angry that he's playing like he has 1.5 million dollar skills these days.

#311 Watty
October 25 2009, 03:40PM

@Zamboni Driver

Zamboni Driver, I would not want Phaneuf on the Oilers. I have no problem with an aggressive, chippy player but not backing up his cheap shots is embarrasing and it rubs off on the team.

As for our success since 1990 compared to the Flames...no where in there did I say we have been more successfull...all I was getting at is that the Flames haven't accomplished anything either yet the fans act like they have.

Trust me, I know how long ago the cups were and I know we have been a sub-par team for many years....but Flames fans piss me off with their false sense of achievement.

I was alive in 1984 and I have actually played hockey rather than just driving the zamboni so...

#312 BarryS
October 25 2009, 04:02PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

Last year all Horcoff had to worry about was coming back from his major surgery. The last thing on his mind would be a contract he might not be healthy enough to actually get when he had to be able to trust his body again.

Players always take longer than the rest of us to trust their bodies are healed. (Spoken by one who has had several major surgerys to various parts of his body.) It takes time to get used to the lack of pain and to remember you now can do things you couldn't before.

Unless those shots he's stopped with his foot lately have caused more damage than has been let on, it will take a half season or more to come to terms with the contract pressure.

At least with Gagne seeming to get the hang of faceoffs a little better of late, and Penner taking some, perhaps Horcoff will have more time to work on the rest of his game.

#313 Ogden Brother
October 26 2009, 09:48AM
Matt Henderson wrote:

Please explain to me why you can't grasp that he's had 2 very good seasons?

Comments are closed for this article.