Edmonton Oilers waive Jason LaBarbera

Jonathan Willis
November 18 2013 10:20AM

 

The Edmonton Oilers announced on Monday morning that Jason LaBarbera had been waived. It's a move that comes as no surprise, given the arrival of Ilya Bryzgalov in Edmonton.

The Goalie Depth Chart

The Oilers suddenly have a pretty crowded goaltending depth chart, and the arrival of Ilya Bryzgalov as well as LaBarbera's freefall make it difficult to know with any certainty exactly how everything will shake out. My best guess today looks something like this:

  • Devan Dubnyk
  • Ilya Bryzgalov
  • Richard Bachman (injured)
  • Jason LaBarbera
  • Laurent Brossoit
  • Tyler Bunz

Assuming that Bryzgalov can play anywhere near his previous level of performance, Dubnyk is in for a pitched battle for starting minutes in Edmonton. Further assuming good health and no moves, the farm is a mess - two veteran goalies will be pushing for playing time and likely holding down highly-valued prospect Laurent Brossoit.  

What Now, LaBarbera?

There is the faint possibility that LaBarbera is claimed on waivers, which is doubtless what the Oilers would prefer. The case there is that a) his contract is at a low dollar figure for a single year and b) he's had a pretty decent NHL career. A team with injuries or goalie troubles might be willing to take him as a low-cost fill-in.

It seems unlikely, though, which means that LaBarbera will almost certainly be buried in the minors. He's been a good goalie for a long-time and it's reasonable to expect he can provide Oklahoma City with good goaltending; that isn't a bad thing for a development team. Until Bachman's healthy, the most logical course of action would likely be to demote Laurent Brossoit to the ECHL where he can get playing time and keep Tyler Bunz (who has been surprisngly good early) around as backup. 

Buried in the AHL, LaBarbera will continue to count for $75,000 against the Oilers' NHL salary cap until he's let go this summer. Of course, with both Dubnyk and Bryzgalov pending free agents and the Oilers on the road to nowhere, it's also possible that (with strong play) he's the post-trade deadline starter in Edmonton.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#51 yellow pone
November 18 2013, 12:45PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

@Cynic

Gilbert is playing first pairing minutes in Florida and is holding his own. Petry plays the opposition's best and is holding his head above water.

The idea that Petry and Gilbert are marginal NHL players is laughable. Maybe you should take your own advice, because it's apparent that you don't know much about what you're talking about.

Avatar
#52 DSF
November 18 2013, 12:46PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

What would you give up to bring Andersen in DSF, what makes sense to you?

Klefbom and a third?

I doubt that would get it done.

Anaheim has these "under 25" guys who would all be ahead of Klefbom on the depth chart.

Cam Fowler 21 (22GP 2G 9A 11P) *Looks like the dime has dropped

Hampus Lindholm 19 (20GP 2G 4A 6P +8)

Sami Vatenen 22 (17GP 1G 4A 5P +3)

Luca Sbisa (tweener)

With Jesse Blacker and Shea Theodore in the pipeline, they hardly need another young D prospect.

I would imagine the only thing that would interest the Ducks long term would be another scoring winger to fill in when Selanne retires.

With Hemsky putting up another stinker of a season and at $5M, I doubt there would be any interest from the Ducks other than one of the Fab 4.

Avatar
#53 Serious Gord
November 18 2013, 12:48PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

It's $75 000 that goes against the cap if/when he is sent down.

And yeah Bachman had a very good camp but exactly as you had written, Bachman didn't have to clear waivers due to the waiver exemption rules which allow most players under the age of 25 to be sent down and back up to the Minor leagues assuming they didn't play a certain number of games, anywhere from 60-80 for a goalie to 60-160 for a skater.

Similar situation happened with Calgary with MacDonald and Berra.

Thanks. And does he still take up a roster spot?

Avatar
#54 DSF
November 18 2013, 12:48PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
yellow pone wrote:

Gilbert is playing first pairing minutes in Florida and is holding his own. Petry plays the opposition's best and is holding his head above water.

The idea that Petry and Gilbert are marginal NHL players is laughable. Maybe you should take your own advice, because it's apparent that you don't know much about what you're talking about.

You know Gilbert was bought out by Minnesota, right?

And, I'm sure you're aware Petry is on pace for a -40 season, right?

Avatar
#55 Randaman
November 18 2013, 12:51PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Just a thought but considering Dubie is in a contract year and Bryz is playing for a contract somewhere else next year, this could work in our favor. We all know contract years bring out the best in lots of players.

Avatar
#56 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 18 2013, 12:56PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

With Hemsky,Dubnyk and Shultz coming off the books at seasons end, perhaps the Oilers could use that second compliance buyout on Sam Gagner.

With this season already crumpled up in the garbage basket, time to start to try sell whatever isn't bolted to the floor.

Damn it's hot in this desert....

Avatar
#57 Johnnydapunk
November 18 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

[Quote] The Oil did alright with Roloson (because they had Chris Pronger) who seemed washed up when 6Rings traded for him and he was shockingly decent.

I fixed that there for you Johnny. It wasn't as much Roli as it was the combination of the two together.

Well that would I guess explain Roloson having a 28-24 record with a goals against south of 3 and and a save percentage of .915 in the 2008-09 season. Not sure how much Pronger helped that season...

I'm not saying he was Patrick Roy or a Fuhr by any means, but for a guy pushing 40 and getting numbers like that for an Oil team who weren't world beaters, I think he was a pretty good find.

Apparently he wasn't signed because he wanted a longer contract, shame he didn't as he ended up playing for another 3 seasons and putting up fairly respectable numbers.

Avatar
#58 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 18 2013, 01:07PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

Well that would I guess explain Roloson having a 28-24 record with a goals against south of 3 and and a save percentage of .915 in the 2008-09 season. Not sure how much Pronger helped that season...

I'm not saying he was Patrick Roy or a Fuhr by any means, but for a guy pushing 40 and getting numbers like that for an Oil team who weren't world beaters, I think he was a pretty good find.

Apparently he wasn't signed because he wanted a longer contract, shame he didn't as he ended up playing for another 3 seasons and putting up fairly respectable numbers.

There's two sides to every blade. If Roli stays, Oilers remain in never never land (15 to 20th overall) the yr the Oiler took Taylor Hall.

I see what your point is though. Rolison wanted 2 yrs, and Lowe stood firm on one. Management has botched up on many occasions these last 8 yrs. They've screwed themselves thinking they're smarter than most, when they ended up being their own worst enemy.

Avatar
#59 Johnnydapunk
November 18 2013, 01:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Thanks. And does he still take up a roster spot?

One of the 50 contract spots? Yeah from my half assed count, the Oil are at 49 though they have 51 players signed, 2 of those players Nurse and Khaira do not count towards the 50 contract limit as players who are 18-19 and are assigned to their respective CHL junior club do not count towards the contract limit, which may also have been a reason why Nurse didn't stay up here, despite his excellent camp.

If you are referring to one of the 23 active player spots? Then no, once he is officially sent to the minors, he is off the active roster.

There will most likely be some seemingly nonsensical roster moves here and there as the Oil, like every other team has to sometimes juggle their lineups based not on skill but on their contract and their eligibility to be sent to the minors or some other weird technical reason. The Arcobello move to be sent down for one day is a good example of that :-)

Also bear in mind that Bachman is not on the roster currently as an exemption can be made for injured players and they are not counted towards the active roster limit. I'm guessing that some "injuries" are to clear a spot for a player on the roster, Dubnyks ankle "injury" comes to mind.

Avatar
#60 Old School G
November 18 2013, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

With Hemsky,Dubnyk and Shultz coming off the books at seasons end, perhaps the Oilers could use that second compliance buyout on Sam Gagner.

With this season already crumpled up in the garbage basket, time to start to try sell whatever isn't bolted to the floor.

Damn it's hot in this desert....

I think that if Lou can bring in a "replacement" in Schenieder to split time with Brodeur, one of the best goalies of all time and a career Devil, the Oilers should take note and realize that hockey is a business not a friendship. Gagner should not be safe at any time if he can be part of any move to make us a more complete and competitive team.

I think that we have a way better chance at going hard for PK Subban than Shea Weber. I believe that Weber is Nashville's version of Lidstrom, we all want him but he's not going anywhere ever. Judging by past contract negotiations with PK I don't get this same feel from MTL.

Avatar
#61 yellow pone
November 18 2013, 01:17PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

@DSF

What's your point? Vincent Lecavlier was bought out by Tampa Bay, and he's on pace for a 55 point season.

Petry's on ice save percentage is .885 and it's not like he bleeds chances against. In fact, his even strength scoring chance differential is positive. I'd say his minus reflects the poor goaltending more than it reflects any poor play by Petry.

Avatar
#62 Johnnydapunk
November 18 2013, 01:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

There's two sides to every blade. If Roli stays, Oilers remain in never never land (15 to 20th overall) the yr the Oiler took Taylor Hall.

I see what your point is though. Rolison wanted 2 yrs, and Lowe stood firm on one. Management has botched up on many occasions these last 8 yrs. They've screwed themselves thinking they're smarter than most, when they ended up being their own worst enemy.

It can become quite complicated and I think a lot of things as much as they are management cock ups, are also just down to being lucky or unlucky.

To take the scenario further, they tried to improve their goaltending by signing Khabibulin as Roli's replacement with the hopes he would be somewhat of an improvement, he ended up injuring himself and the oil were stuck with comedy bad goaltending which made them last and allowed them to pick first and get Taylor Hall. Saying it that way, makes the management look like geniuses :-)

The one thing that management has done well in their own ineptitude was gather loads of high draft pick players who would make any team better individually but together they don't work, that's a lot of trade ammo the Oil have currently.

Maybe I'm just worn out from being too upset about management and just try to look at the bright side of things and realise that you need to appreciate the bad to be able to appreciate the good.

Could be worse, we could be Leafs fans where Halley's Comet comes around more often than a Stanley cup parade for them :-)

Avatar
#63 DSF
November 18 2013, 01:28PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
yellow pone wrote:

What's your point? Vincent Lecavlier was bought out by Tampa Bay, and he's on pace for a 55 point season.

Petry's on ice save percentage is .885 and it's not like he bleeds chances against. In fact, his even strength scoring chance differential is positive. I'd say his minus reflects the poor goaltending more than it reflects any poor play by Petry.

Lecavalier was bought out because his contract was too long and because his cap hit was too high not because he couldn't contribute.

Gilbert was bought out because he wasn't very good and because Minnesota had better, cheaper options.

Ask yourself why the Wild signed Keith Ballard for $1M and let Gilbert go.

Petry's 5V5 CF% currently sits at 45%.

That's not good.

Avatar
#64 Dog Train
November 18 2013, 01:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

This move was a foregone conclusion. I have to admit that I will miss Labarbera's mask.

Avatar
#65 Bigge small
November 18 2013, 01:35PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
yellow pone wrote:

Gilbert and Petry would be first pairing on the Oilers. They would be a good second pairing on a contender. If you think Petry should be demoted you need to give your head a shake

Are you kidding, even HNC guys were mentioning Oilers have bounch of # 5 D man in current roster. As far is Gilbert why was he bought out for reason...

Avatar
#66 TigerUnderGlass
November 18 2013, 01:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Bigge small wrote:

Are you kidding, even HNC guys were mentioning Oilers have bounch of # 5 D man in current roster. As far is Gilbert why was he bought out for reason...

What?

Avatar
#67 Spydyr
November 18 2013, 02:02PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Greenlingj wrote:

I can't get over this community.

Yes we need defense and badly.

We have a bunch of 5-6 guys and we had two 3-4 guys but sent one down the road...

but in development we have a legit number 1.

Nurse is sitting at 21 gp 7 g 16 a 22 pts +4

Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, J Schultz.

And the potential to use our pick to get Ekblad or upgrade our center position with a guy like Sam Reinhart.

Laurent Broissoit could be a legit elite goalie in the making...

These things take time and Mac T is right in saying trading for immediate reward now will be detrimental in the future.

Change the names it sounds like four years ago.Help is on its way.Just be patient.

Avatar
#68 Oiler Al
November 18 2013, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Vaclav wrote:

I suspect the Oilers are going to take a run at Jonas Hiller next summer but Frederik Andersen may be the real prize out of Anaheim's system. With Viktor Fasth signed through 2015 and John Gibson the heir apparent MacTavish should do what he can to acquire Andersen.

With Lindholm and Vatanen both graduating to the big club the Ducks might want to replenish their d-corps prospect pool with someone like Marincin.

Lets hope MacT does more than he did to attempt to acquire Bishop last year.... Oilers always overvalue their fluff... should have offered Hemsky for Bishop, would have killed two birds with one stone.

Avatar
#69 Vaclav
November 18 2013, 02:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Anaheim just acquired Jesse Blacker from the Leafs in return for Holland.

They also have last year's first round pick Shea Theodore in the system.

They're pretty much loaded with young D.

Marincin is a better prospect than Blacker and Theodore is still in the WHL. The Ducks have two very good defenceman on their roster in Vatanen and Lindholm but will be looking to fill the voids left by Souray, Beauchemin and Allen after next season.

Good teams keep the cupboards stocked and adding a solid prospect like Marincin should be something they'd consider.

Avatar
#70 moose
November 18 2013, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

Lets hope MacT does more than he did to attempt to acquire Bishop last year.... Oilers always overvalue their fluff... should have offered Hemsky for Bishop, would have killed two birds with one stone.

Incorrect. Bishop was a Tambellini fumble, not MacT.

Avatar
#71 Oiler AL
November 18 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

[Quote] The Oil did alright with Roloson (because they had Chris Pronger) who seemed washed up when 6Rings traded for him and he was shockingly decent.

I fixed that there for you Johnny. It wasn't as much Roli as it was the combination of the two together.

Rolie was a big part of it... but it really was the Triple P, that got them to the big dance.... Pronger, Pëca and Pisani.

Avatar
#72 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 18 2013, 02:38PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
moose wrote:

Incorrect. Bishop was a Tambellini fumble, not MacT.

MacT was here, and very much involved last season. Tambellini was just here to take the bullets for the behind the scenes management group. ALL decisions were made via their daily pow wow support group therapy sessions they'd hold.

To think one guy is responsible for this debacle, is mistaken.

Avatar
#73 tileguy
November 18 2013, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
tileguy wrote:

Does Bryz automatically get the first start. I thought Dubes was more than accountable the last couple starts, but oh yeah, this is the oilers.

Just found out the answer, maybe things are changing.

"According to head coach Dallas Eakins, as long as regular starter Devan Dubnyk is playing well — a rarity this season; hence, the Bryzgalov signing — the Oilers won’t switch goalies. “A lot will have to do if Dubs can keep rolling like he is,” said Eakins, per the Canadian Press. “Dubs is going lights out, Dubs gets the net.”

Avatar
#74 David S
November 18 2013, 02:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
BobbyCanuck wrote:

Yes they do, there are three types of contracts: One way, and Two way.

One way: The goalie has an NHL contract, and gets paid his contractual amount per week, regardless of whether he plays or not.

Two Way: Usually for rookies, or young ones, or career back-ups. This one means that if they get called up to the NHL, they will get paid an NHL salary while on call up.When they get sent back down to the minors, they will get paid the minor salary.

Minors: THe goalie gets paid the minors salary, regardless of whethre he gets called up or not

Giong by memory, feel free to add to this fellows question, and to the folks that talked this question down, and catogorically called the writer an idiot for not knowing..I want you to think back to a time in your life when you asked a simple question, and someone ripped you a new as$ho@le. Felt good did it not?

YOU SIR are the BatKid of Oilers Nation.

Good job. Thanks for proving not everybody here is a self-rightous d!ck.

Avatar
#75 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 18 2013, 02:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Oiler AL

True that sir.

No matter how hard you try, you can't spell Bergeron with a P.

Avatar
#76 jakethesnake
November 18 2013, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Are you kidding, even HNC guys were mentioning Oilers have bounch of # 5 D man in current roster. As far is Gilbert why was he bought out for reason... Seriously Don't take what HNC people say seriously Those guys know less about hockey then my 80 year old granny Those guys work for HNC because no one else would hire them Eliot Freedman is the only guy there that knows anything

Avatar
#77 Oiler Al
November 18 2013, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
moose wrote:

Incorrect. Bishop was a Tambellini fumble, not MacT.

You are correct Moose, my mistake. That would have been to big of a deal for Tambeliniès little bag.

Avatar
#78 DSF
November 18 2013, 02:48PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Vaclav wrote:

Marincin is a better prospect than Blacker and Theodore is still in the WHL. The Ducks have two very good defenceman on their roster in Vatanen and Lindholm but will be looking to fill the voids left by Souray, Beauchemin and Allen after next season.

Good teams keep the cupboards stocked and adding a solid prospect like Marincin should be something they'd consider.

There is absolutely no evidence that "Marincin is a better prospect than Blacker".

None.

Both are mid second round draft picks and both have played well in the AHL.

As for the long term, when Beauchemin, Souray and Allen leave Anaheim will likely use their cap space to sign a couple of veterans to replace them while their young studs move up the batting order.

Good teams do indeed keep the cupboards stocked but they generally do that through the draft not by trading stating goaltenders for them.

Avatar
#79 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 03:00PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
DSF wrote:

There is absolutely no evidence that "Marincin is a better prospect than Blacker".

None.

Both are mid second round draft picks and both have played well in the AHL.

As for the long term, when Beauchemin, Souray and Allen leave Anaheim will likely use their cap space to sign a couple of veterans to replace them while their young studs move up the batting order.

Good teams do indeed keep the cupboards stocked but they generally do that through the draft not by trading stating goaltenders for them.

This simply isn't the case. Teams trade for prospects all the time. Often with goaltenders.

ANA is probably going to leverage their glut at G for something. I wouldn't be surprised to discover prospects involved, they rarely aren't.

As for them looking for D

http://www.pensburgh.com/2013/10/3/4800882/report-penguins-and-ducks-talking-trade

The TOR trade looks like it was in the works for a while and the trigger got pulled with the Kadri/Bolland/Bozak situation.

Blacker may well sate their interest, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest they'd be open to more.

Avatar
#80 Dave2
November 18 2013, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
tileguy wrote:

Just found out the answer, maybe things are changing.

"According to head coach Dallas Eakins, as long as regular starter Devan Dubnyk is playing well — a rarity this season; hence, the Bryzgalov signing — the Oilers won’t switch goalies. “A lot will have to do if Dubs can keep rolling like he is,” said Eakins, per the Canadian Press. “Dubs is going lights out, Dubs gets the net.”

I wish Eakins would do the opposite when one of the other players performs poorly. Gagner comes to mind.

Avatar
#81 Walter Sobchak
November 18 2013, 03:40PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I like how some think the Oilers are going to turn this around with just goaltending or a number 1 defensmen.

Even if Brysgalov plays out of his head, which seems unlikely given his history, the Oilers top six, bottom six are horrible put together.

There's just so much wrong with this team that moves now are just a short term patch.

Avatar
#82 Vaclav
November 18 2013, 03:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
DSF wrote:

There is absolutely no evidence that "Marincin is a better prospect than Blacker".

None.

Both are mid second round draft picks and both have played well in the AHL.

As for the long term, when Beauchemin, Souray and Allen leave Anaheim will likely use their cap space to sign a couple of veterans to replace them while their young studs move up the batting order.

Good teams do indeed keep the cupboards stocked but they generally do that through the draft not by trading stating goaltenders for them.

Yeah, no evidence whatsoever:

Boxcars: Blacker 2012/13 - 4G, 7A -4 Marincin 2012/13 - 7G, 23A +20

Marincin is a year younger, 2 inches taller, and skates as well as Blacker. Both have some chaos in their game.

Avatar
#83 camdog
November 18 2013, 04:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@DSF

Regardless of whether Blackner or Maricin are the better prospect, they are still both good prospects.

Hockey futures says that Anaheim has a shortage of depth at LW and on D. Although Blackner is good addition to their depth they could still use additional D depth in their system.

Avatar
#84 Gaz
November 18 2013, 04:32PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@Vaclav

I'd say you pretty much sealed that one.

DSF - its ok to admit when you've had a misstep.

Avatar
#85 DSF
November 18 2013, 05:17PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Vaclav wrote:

Yeah, no evidence whatsoever:

Boxcars: Blacker 2012/13 - 4G, 7A -4 Marincin 2012/13 - 7G, 23A +20

Marincin is a year younger, 2 inches taller, and skates as well as Blacker. Both have some chaos in their game.

Using boxcars from the AHL to project an NHL defenseman is foolish.

Justin Schultz tore up the AHL last season and can't play NHL defense AT ALL and on any decent team would be back in the AHL.

Avatar
#86 DSF
November 18 2013, 05:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

This simply isn't the case. Teams trade for prospects all the time. Often with goaltenders.

ANA is probably going to leverage their glut at G for something. I wouldn't be surprised to discover prospects involved, they rarely aren't.

As for them looking for D

http://www.pensburgh.com/2013/10/3/4800882/report-penguins-and-ducks-talking-trade

The TOR trade looks like it was in the works for a while and the trigger got pulled with the Kadri/Bolland/Bozak situation.

Blacker may well sate their interest, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest they'd be open to more.

Good grief.

The article you referenced was from October 3.

Since then Hampus Lindholm (a rookie of the year candidate) and Sami Vatanen have stepped up big time.

With Souray only a couple of weeks away from returning, the Ducks will have a surplus of NHL defensemen.

Bear in mind they also signed Mark Fistric as a 7-8 defenseman.

Avatar
#87 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 18 2013, 06:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DSF wrote:

Good grief.

The article you referenced was from October 3.

Since then Hampus Lindholm (a rookie of the year candidate) and Sami Vatanen have stepped up big time.

With Souray only a couple of weeks away from returning, the Ducks will have a surplus of NHL defensemen.

Bear in mind they also signed Mark Fistric as a 7-8 defenseman.

It's entirely unclear what you find objectionable here, at "good grief" levels no less.

Why is posting an article relevant to a discussion, noting it's age and how it may have signalled the Holland/Blacker trade was in the works for some time remotely objectionable?

I mean that seriously. What is the objection here?

Avatar
#88 DrunkGuyTy
November 18 2013, 07:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

Duly noted and to be referenced when you pull some even more abstract stat out of your butt in attempt to put your 5th different spin on a losing argument.

Avatar
#89 Gaz
November 18 2013, 07:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@DSF

Ok, boxcars are foolish...you're going to have to remember that next time you use them when promoting another team's superior farm team depth, ok?

So what is the measure? You expect us to believe that you spend a lot of time watching AHL games involving Minnesota, Anaheim, Florida and Vancouver's minor league teams?

Good grie...ah, never mind.

Avatar
#90 oilers2k10
November 18 2013, 07:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
BobbyCanuck wrote:

Yes they do, there are three types of contracts: One way, and Two way.

One way: The goalie has an NHL contract, and gets paid his contractual amount per week, regardless of whether he plays or not.

Two Way: Usually for rookies, or young ones, or career back-ups. This one means that if they get called up to the NHL, they will get paid an NHL salary while on call up.When they get sent back down to the minors, they will get paid the minor salary.

Minors: THe goalie gets paid the minors salary, regardless of whethre he gets called up or not

Giong by memory, feel free to add to this fellows question, and to the folks that talked this question down, and catogorically called the writer an idiot for not knowing..I want you to think back to a time in your life when you asked a simple question, and someone ripped you a new as$ho@le. Felt good did it not?

Your awesome..thanks.

Going back yeah it sounds like a stupid question..I guess a better way to word it would've been.. -Do players that aren't dressed still get paid? But I already know the answer now.

Avatar
#91 David S
November 18 2013, 08:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
oilers2k10 wrote:

Your awesome..thanks.

Going back yeah it sounds like a stupid question..I guess a better way to word it would've been.. -Do players that aren't dressed still get paid? But I already know the answer now.

Welcome to the nut house dude. Any reasonable question is a good one.

Comments are closed for this article.